WELCOME BACK ALL YEAR 6 STUDENTS!
Welcome to Year 6!
Miss Durkan and Mrs Jones
Statue of Liberty
Miss Brading and Mrs Thwaites
Mr Treays and Miss West
Term 1 Learning Topics
Literacy - Rose Blanche
Science - Classification of Living Things
Topic - World War 2
Maths - Place value and understanding of the four operations
Spanish - En el Colegio
PE - Cardio, flexibility and reactions
SATs practice and interventions will be on a Wednesday afternoon.
Here you can find out useful information about what your child is doing throughout the year and when they need certain things (such as PE kit):
Homework for this week consists of:
- SPaG activity
- Maths homework set by each child's maths teacher
- Spellings (children will be tested on these next Friday)
- Topic work - At least three should be completed this term. The list of ideas can be found here.
Children are expected to complete all of the homework set, If there is a problem with completing homework, please speak to your class teacher before the Friday morning it is due in who will be happy to help.
Literacy - Year 6 will look at World War Two themed literature, such as Rose Blanche written by Christophe Ga Ilaz and Roberto Innocenti and Varmints by Helen Ward. They will also draw inspiration from other mediums, including Beyond the Lines (a short animation by Pierre Tarsiguel) and The Piano by Aidan Gibbons.
Maths - children will be split into different groups to support their progress and identify gaps in their mathematical understanding. At the beginning of the year, maths will focus on place value before moving swiftly onto mastering the use of the four operations. Rounding, data handling and problem solving are further focuses leading up to Christmas.
Science - in term 1, children will learn about classification of living things, building on the knowledge they developed in years 3 and 4.
In term 2, children will look into Charles Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution'.
- Maplesden Noakes Taster Day - 27th September
- Science Dome - Term 2
Literature - children will look at a book called 'Pig Heart Boy' by Malorie Blackman, which will link to the heart dissection year 6's will conduct as part of Science.
Maths - children will further consolidate their understanding of the four operations and move deeper into fractions, data handling and ratio.
Science - for term 3, children will look at Animals including Humans.
Special events -
Scientific experiment - heart dissection (date TBC)
Potential Tudor's topic trip - date TBC
15th January 2020 - Colosseum Class
5th February 2020 - Mount Everest Class
12th February - Statue of Liberty Class
Children are expected to read three times a week and record this in their reading records. Reading records are due in to check the progress of reading every week on a Friday. If there are any problems with reading at home please speak to your child's teacher who will be happy to help.
Year 6 complete PE on Monday and Tuesday afternoon every week. PE kit will need to be brought to school on these days in order to participate. Please ensure that children have clothes suitable for outdoor and indoor conditions and that all items are labelled with names. We ask that children please also be provided with a roll-on deodorant to use after the session.
Children in Colosseum class will be completing outdoor learning activities on a Tuesday afternoon instead of PE for Term 1. Children will need to bring PE kit for this and warm clothes for when they are outside and it is cold.
Every other Tuesday, children are given the opportunity to take out books from the library that interest them. They are checked out using a computer system and library monitors are available to help children where needed. If your child has a book, please remind them to bring this into school on a Tuesday so this can be changed if necessary. Please note - any loss or damage to books will incur a cost to the child to replace them.
- Maplesden Noakes visit - 27th September 2019
- Parent's Evening - Wednesday 16th & Thursday 17th October 2019
- Language Fair - 17th October 2019
- Year 6 Gravity trip - 14th February 2020
- World Book Day - Thursday 5th March 2020
- Parent's Evening - Tuesday 24th March & Thursday 26th March 2020
- PGL and 'Out of School' activities for those not attending PGL - 20th May - 22nd May 2020
- Secondary school transition days - taster days at the children's new schools (throughout Term 6)
- Magistrates talk - (Term 6, date TBC)
- Year 6 Production - Tuesday 14th & Wednesday 15th July 2020
- Year 6 Prom - Tuesday 21st July 2020
- Year 6 Leavers Assembly - Wednesday 22nd July 2020